Thursday, February 28, 2013

Project: FLASH ANIMATION

For my project I want to be able to create a flash animation. In simpler terms I'll be attempting to make a cartoon. This is a thing I've wanted to try to attempt but never got around to. I think this will definitely be an interesting thing and there's a lot that I think can come out of my project for myself. I'll need some materials for my project, but I don't think it'll be ridiculous and unnecessary. I'll first of all need a graphic tablet. This is a device that will allow me to control the mouse from the tablet itself. It operates with a pen, by putting that pen on a special surface so I can draw the frames with precision and not have to try drawing lines with a computer mouse. I already have gotten my hands on on for a good price and quality. Second of all, I'll need some software. I'll need a video editor and a drawing program. The video editor I need doesn't have to be impressive in the slightest. It just has to be able to string the thousands of images I'll need to create. The drawing program has to be professional, cheap and versatile. I've already found a program called gimp that may be able to accomplish what I want, but if I could find a way to procure something better like Adobe Flash CS6 then I'll definitely be using that. I also have a written story board of my project that I want to do. The ideas I have are very action-packed and dynamic, but hopefully I'll be able to succeed in making something that is decently presentable.

As for my measurable and how I will plan my project, I'm going to be spending the first week or two getting used to drawing on the tablet and doing research on animation. Drawing on the tablet feels a bit awkward at times because I have to look up at my computer screen, but I have to draw on the tablet. The image I draw on the tablet will only show up on the computer so I can't simply eye what looks good on the tablet. From what I've seen so far is that drawing on the tablet is significantly slower than it is in real life. I have to be much more alert and careful so I don't majorly screw up something. However, there is a pro to drawing on the tablet. Undo. Normally you have to erase a part of a picture you don't like, but since the picture is on the computer, if there's an unwanted line I can just delete it with control+z. It doesn't make up for the naturally slow drawing, but hopefully the more I practice, the faster I'll get. For the next few weeks I'll be drawing the pictures. This will take the longest amount of time, and will require precision. A thing I used to concerned with was drawing each picture perfectly so if I draw a character they aren't flying all over the screen, but I learned that If I just draw each limb individually, I can just put them on top of each other, and adjust them individually for a movement. There are also things I'll have to learn about how the human perceives vision and action. Obviously I don't want anything to appear jagged, or unsmooth in movement and optimizing that will be a big part while I do my project. Nearing the end, I'll have to do the coloring, which should be fairly quick considering that I can use the fill tool which is on nearly every picture editing software imaginable, then I'll put in the audio. Luckily the way my story board is for the animation, I'll just have to put in background music, and have someone voice Morgan Freedman.

I still have a lot of work to do, but so far I think what I have is very solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment